Civil Litigation Attorneys in Houston Defending Your Rights
Civil litigation is necessary when one party files a lawsuit against another party and needs to work through an unresolved dispute related to property, money, or injuries. This might include individuals, businesses, and other entities.
Cases that are handled by our civil litigation attorneys when an agreement cannot be reached among two parties might include:
- Damage to property
- Probate issues
- Family issues
- Landlord and tenant disputes
- Unpaid personal loans
For more illustrated examples, you might come to us for issues related to fraud, breach of contract or fiduciary duty, or unfair competition if harm was done to your business, business relationships, or intellectual property.
In another example, when a physician goes against the standards of care and, as a result, you were mistreated, misdiagnosed, or went through a dangerous, unnecessary operation, our civil litigation law firm will represent you in a medical malpractice case.
A great number of issues fall under civil law and might demand a civil litigation attorney like one of ours to seek compensation and damages on your behalf. Book an initial consultation today: 281-214-6541.
What is Civil Litigation?
Civil litigation is a legal response to a civil matter, such as a situation dealing with people and business relationships, marriages, or contract disputes between business entities.
These are the most common types of civil matters that can lead to a need for civil litigation:
- Contract disputes: When one or more parties, typically in a business transaction, sign an agreement and don’t follow or fulfill their obligations, it’s grounds for civil litigation. This is especially relevant if money becomes an issue or employees don’t fulfill certain obligations.
- Property disputes: A civil litigation lawyer with experience in property law might help resolve disputes related to property ownership or damages to a person’s property or real estate.
- Torts: Civil cases, or tort law, relate to a person’s safety, the safety of their property, and financial security. Common civil cases an attorney might litigate include assault or battery or negligence when one person sues another person for not performing their duty of care, such as a caregiver.
- Class action cases or personal injury: A group of people that share a common injury from the same company can be part of a class-action suit, which is typically the result of the manufacture of a defective product or exposure to an unsafe environment that leads to injuries in a large number of people.
- Divorce and family law: Custody battles, divorce, and legal separation might require civil litigation when one or more parties are in conflict and can’t reach an agreement, or other strife and complications are present.
If you have been sued or need to sue another party for civil wrongdoing, speak with an experienced civil litigation attorney who can provide the right legal advice to move you forward.
What is Civil Law?
Civil law deals with acts that cause physical injuries or cause a negative financial impact on another person or company. There are four types of civil law:
- Property (personal or commercial)
- Contracts (typically business-related)
- Family relations (marriage, divorce, custody)
- Civil wrongdoings that cause physical injury or injury to property
Examples of civil law include defamation, breach of contract, property damage, and negligence resulting in injury or death. Civil cases sometimes get mixed up with criminal law, though civil cases are initiated when a lawsuit is filed by a person or company.
By definition, civil law is designed to resolve issues through the delivery of peaceful resolutions to non-criminal cases or disputes. Our experienced civil litigation attorneys can orchestrate this in pre-trial and trial.
If a civil lawsuit has been filed against you, or you’re considering a civil lawsuit but aren’t sure if you have a case, consider an initial consultation with one of our civil law attorneys. They will help you better understand Texas civil law, your rights, and potential legal options.
Call an experienced civil litigation attorney today: 281-214-6541.
How Can a Civil Litigation Lawyer Help My Case?
Civil litigation with the help of our civil litigation attorneys with trial experience is typically needed when suits involve claims for money or property worth more than $10,000. Small claims court, for any issue under this dollar amount, is the appropriate alternative.
Our Houston civil litigation attorneys will be useful in your civil lawsuit when direct negotiation has failed, or mediation failed or was deemed ineffective.
During the pre-trial and trial, a civil litigation case is complicated. Our team of experienced civil litigation attorneys can step in to conduct the following in order to build an effective and strategic case:
- Investigation: This initial step is used to pull any relevant facts, which might include the gathering of personal or business documents and interviewing clients or people of interest. This phase also uncovers whether there’s enough evidence to pursue a case.
- Pleadings: A civil litigation attorney with The Hatchett Law Firm, PLLC will file a motion and detail a complaint, in which the court may ask for a revision or dismiss the case altogether if there’s not enough evidence to proceed.
- Discovery: We and the opposing attorney exchange and process information, which is specifically used to build up a case and identify opportunities, strengths, and weaknesses to serve our clients.
- Trial: In this stage, all evidence related to the case is presented, which may or may not include a jury, and concludes the case with a verdict.
Our trial experience and savvy and strategic approach will help us build a convincing case in your civil claim.
Why Book a Consultation Regarding Your Civil Matter?
Experiencing any harm or injury personally to your property or your business can damage your reputation, drain your bank account and cause short- and long-term damages in more ways than one.
If you are the victim of property damage, breach of contract, or medical malpractice injury, for example, you need a civil litigation attorney with trial experience and civil law know-how to defend your rights and honor, to recover damages, losses, and possible compensation.
The place to start is The Hatchett Law Firm, PLLC. We’re a team of compassionate, diligent, seasoned civil litigation attorneys who are prepared to negotiate and work tirelessly on your behalf to reach a resolution in your civil litigation case that works in the best interest of you or your business.
Alternatively, if you are unhappy with the results of a civil litigation case and you believe the court gave you the wrong verdict, we can take your trial to the appellate courts with strong facts and evidence to urge them to reconsider.
If you have been sued, are considering a civil lawsuit, or need to appeal your civil litigation case, look no further than The Hatchett Law Firm, PLLC. Find out if you have a civil litigation case and determine the best step forward when you book a free consultation: 281-214-6541.